[Coco] Newly acquired 26-3026 (CoCo 2 ECB, 16k?)

Chad H chadbh74 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 19 15:46:01 EDT 2013

Well I just got this poor neglected soul off ebay for $0.01 (well not
really, there was shipping J )  Anywhooo, the seller thought it was broken
but I figured what the heck, they probably just didn't know enough about it
to figure out how to work it.

I plugged it up and it fired up nice and pretty.  PRINT MEM showed
24871..huh?  Looked like someone upgraded the RAM since I thought these had
16KB from factory.  Underneath I saw a replaced service seal: "Radio Shack
Service Center".   I figure they upgraded it.  Well I was going to break the
seal anyways, since the case looks dirty and yellowed, and I found the
inside board was dusty too, so took a brush to that.  Funny, the board looks
identical to my 36-3127 unit, except the RAM is already socketed whereas I
had to go and socket the 26-3217.  Also, there are 2 caps on the left (power
section) that are actually mounted underneath the board, which I don't think
my 26-3127 had.   As for the RAM, It has the Motorola emblem but I don't
recognize the chips and I can't even find the 64k jumper on this board.
This is a odd one :/

Here are some pictures I took..
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/4fzk73i24xo77/TRS-80_CoCo     Go to "Board
images" and see "26-3026"

I did want to test the CPU (HALT, etc) so I did a couple of DSKINI's with
FD-502 and physical floppy drive, all went perfectly.  Also I booted
DeskMate (OS-9) since I knew that required 64K to run and it worked fine.

Looks like I rescued another perfectly working CoCo that was just neglected
and needed a home.    I'm going to store it for the time being, unless
someone is interested in it?