[Coco] CoCo Hard Drive History

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Sun Oct 13 05:24:14 EDT 2013

======================

Now that I see that written out, yes it was the WD-1002 type controllers.  I
did have a couple in stock before "the move" in '04.

And yes I have connected the Disto interface directly to a 5.25" full height
SCSI drive.  The Maxtor XT-2190 MFM drive series through an Adaptec
SCSI-2-MFM board offered a lot more capacity at the time.  I theory two
adaptor cards with two drives each were possible.  There was one "little"
gotcha.  To run the second adapter board required a little trace cut that I
only found documentation for in the Adaptec manual.  I have 4 drives, and 3
cards to go with them, if they have survived storage.  However the
maintenance of two drives gets intensive.  Backing up the RGB-DOS portion
from one drive to another through the RAM disk took somewhat more than 14
hours.  The OS-9 portion using DSAVE took almost as long.

Bruce W.