[Coco] Slightly non-working floppy drives

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Thu Oct 10 18:17:34 EDT 2013

Christopher Smith wrote:
> So, I have managed to get a set of working drives on my CoCo.  I also have two older, full-height, belt driven monstrosities which don't seem to be working quite right.  Disk formats don't complete on them, I can't backup a disk on them without an IO error.  What are the chances they just need cleaning?  Don't have isopropyl handy for now, but is that a good thing to try on the drive heads?  Might the problem be somewhere else?
>
> Chris

Isopropanol will not hurt the heads but what you normally can buy, rubbing
alcohol (50% isopropanol) has been diluted with water. If you can get the pure
stuff from a lab or druggist, it will work better.
If you can't get 95+% isopropanol, try a commercial tape head cleaner.

There are other reasons why tape drives stop working. The speed may be incorrect
and can be adjusted with the strobe pattern on the drive. The head may have been
knocked out of alignment and fixing that normally requires a calibration disk
and a scope, or a special program.
I've seen the diode that shines through the notch in the disk fallen out of
place. Setting it correctly restored drive operation.

Your disks may be squashed such that there is too much friction when they spin.
That can permanently damage the magnetic surface. Such disks can be rejuvenated
by breaking the seals on the jacket, removing the actual disk making sure that
you can reinsert it without it being flipped over, and spreading the jacket
edges. When the disk is reinserted into the jacket, there will be more space
between the jacket and the disk permitting spinning with much less friction.

Robert