[Coco] Nitros9 boot fails with HDB DOS in rompak

Charlie Pelosi chaspelosi at outlook.com
Thu Oct 10 09:01:15 EDT 2013

Thanks for the reply.
You can use your HDB-DOS rompak (no MPI) and boot The King's Quest 1 disk
image? (Any Nitros9 image really)
Mine seems to work fine too, until I try to boot a Nitros9 image.

27C64 is what I am using. Typing tutor is an older rompak? The ones I'm
using are coco 3 specific. All the older rompaks I open have a black blob on
the PCB and not a 28 pin chip. I'm not sure of any other roms paks besides
the later ones that have a 28 pin chip.

I am not using an MPI or the disk controller and rompak together. I remove
the rom from the rompak place it in the fd502 rom socket and then use the
fd502 controller with the coco. Then it works. When I say works, I mean does
not fail when booting Nitros9. Like KQ1 and arcadepack. Otherwise the rompak
does work using rsdos.

maybe something about the way these particular rompaks (later coco3 ones)
are that keep Nitros9 from booting.
After the C on the boot screen, the screen should switch to the "Welcome to
Nitros9...." screen but that never happens. Something about the rompak is
preventing that from happening.