[Coco] too wordy?

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Mon Oct 7 23:33:14 EDT 2013

No, your project is plenty worthy, it's just that if you search the message database, you'll find the 1000+ or so messages from individuals with "I'm going to build a 6809 board" projects. At first, there was a lot of interest.... no boards... a lot of promises.... no boards. After a while... the next 6809 project comes along and.... it's "ok... whatever... make a video when you get a display...".
So... link me a video when you get a display.

As far as the emulators go... 75% of the people you see talking about emulators have a real Coco sitting in front of them (I have 2).
Why do I use an emulator when I have a real Coco? Quite a few reasons...
One of which I tend to work on very large C programs.... 20 -50, even 75 source files in one program.
One current project I am working on has 57 files. It takes my Coco 27 mins to compile it with my C compiler.
It takes Vcc (overclocked to 71mhz) 16 seconds to compile the 57 files and less than 20 seconds to click the vhd in drivewire, move it to the Coco instance of dw, copy it to the coco vhd and run it on a real Coco.

In the emulator, I can type as fast as I want, screens scroll instantly and workflow is 200% faster. All just so I can run it on my real Coco today... not tomorrow.

The emulator keeps me from burning up my Coco PSU, memory and CPU, wearing out the keyboard (even more), and gives the Coco a rest it deserves sometimes.

A lot of people are using the emulators because they have no Coco... and that 6809/6309 super board we've been hearing about for 15 years still isn't here. So they use what there is.

And most of all, slowly but surely, the real Cocos are dying. There are no parts. We are again left with the emulators.
I lost my original Coco in 99 during hurricane Floyd. I kept my interest in the Coco alive by using the emulators. I've been through em all since Jeff's first Coco 2 emulator in MSDOS. Had it not been for them, I wouldn't been interested enough to acquire another Coco, it would have been forgotten. I was lucky I did get another Coco, and then even another...

Not everyone is a hardware guru, some are software, some just play the games. Some just like the conversation.

So build a 6809/6309 board... I truely encourage it and I wish you luck because I haven't the knowledge or the finances. Get a system going and we'll port NitrOS9 to it... no problem. But before you put down the emulators you may want to thank them for keeping the real Coco alive.

Bill Pierce
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com