[Coco] HDBDOS >>DRIVE OFF

Chad H chadbh74 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 5 22:20:51 EDT 2013

LOL that would work I suppose, but I'm running either stock RSDOS or the DriveWire version of HDBDOS, no HDD at the CoCo.

I could have a AUTOEXEC on the DriveWire server disk #0, but I don't always run DriveWire.  I was hoping I could 'simulate' a DRIVE OFF command with pokes and incorporate the appropriate changes in a EPROM to boot real floppy without DriveWire server machine up and running.

Sent from my Asus Transformer Infinity

Robert Gault <robert.gault at att.net> wrote:

Chad H wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what this command is really doing?  I'm trying to find out if I can POKE a HDBDOS rom to get it to boot withe "DRIVE OFF" as default setting.
>
> Why?.  This setting allows use of real disk drive and I want to have option to boot AUTOEXEC from real disk.
>
> Sent from my Asus Transformer Infinity

Since RGBDOS/HDBDOS is intended for hard drive systems, the default active
drives are all on the hard drive, 0-255 for Disk Basic. This can not be changed
without changing the ROM code.

However, you can always place an AUTOEXEC.BAS on drive0 of the hard drive with
the single line:
10 DRIVEOFF: DOS

This line will make drives 0-3 floppies while drives 4-255 stay on the hard
drive. The DOS command will run any AUTOEXEC.BAS present on floppy drive0 or any
OS-9 boot on that drive.

The real question is why in the world would you want to run AUTOEXEC.BAS from a
floppy when you are using a DOS that talks to hard drives?

Robert