[Coco] Drivewire and ADOS...

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Oct 1 19:44:15 EDT 2013

On Tuesday 01 October 2013 19:29:05 Christopher Smith did opine:

> I do most of my code in C, actually.  At other times, C++, Objective C
> (there's a bit of a theme here I guess), Java, Forth, Scheme, Perl,
> Python, and -- well, some others. :)  What assembly I've done is often
> inlined into C code, actually.  Last time because I wanted to take
> command-line arguments and convert them into an arbitrary function call
> to an arbitrary dynamically loaded library.  C doesn't have a built-in
> facility for doing that but it's easy to arbitrarily construct a
> standard call on the stack with a few assembly operations. ... but as
> for Java, I have done a few personal projects with it and worked on
> probably two projects for a small commercial software house that used
> it.
>
> No, it's not really a language for the CoCo, though there are
> possibilities.  Google tells me the CLDC requires only about 160k of
> memory at a minimum.  There are some assumptions built in about the
> code-size of the interpreter, so you could perhaps get by with less.
> It also "requires" a 16 bit processor, but I suspect what they really
> mean is that you must be able to perform 16 bit numeric operations.  It
> seems feasible to cram a CLDC/MIDP1.0 (I say 1.0 because they didn't
> add floating point math until 2.0, though if it did support 2.0 you
> could run Angry Birds) system in 512k of RAM on an upgraded CoCo 3,
> emulating the 16-bit numerics and using drivewire for its required
> network connection.  Of course this would be a huge project of limited
> usefulness, and probably isn't the right way to get anything on the
> CoCo, but it would be hilarious if it could run Java code. :)
>
> Chris

Yes, it would be quite an accomplishment.  But I think I'd want the phone
number for a local surveyor to come and set stakes to measure its speed.
And we may have write a swap driver (using "myram" of course for projects
needing less than 1.5 megs of 'swap' _if_ the machine has 2 megs like mine)
& add that concept to nitros9.  Now, wouldn't that be a hoot!

OTOH, someplace out in the wild is a cc that can use /r0 for its
intermediate temp files, doing essentially that same thing but probably
faster.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

He hadn't a single redeeming vice.