[Coco] Deranging DW behaviour

Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus) retrocanada76 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 17:23:47 EST 2013

I have 3 cocos in my desk:

Coco3 HD63B09
Coco1 HD63C09  (don't ask me why the coco1 has the C version) with a JEFT
op-amp
Coco2 6809

And i use a DW3CC2.ROM in a FD502 and it works in all three machines. As
well in my superIDE I have the same ROM in one of the banks. The superIDE
runs in DW mode in all three machines. For coco3 I have another bank on
superIDE with the dw3cc3 in case you ask.

Then I got an old game pack Spidercide (ok it's a crime I confess) and
removed the 28-pin EPROM and plugged the CC2.ROM to test in my Coco1.

Just to find out the rompak hangs on the coco1.  Tested on coco3 + mpi and
got a worse hang (random chars on screen). Then thinking the rompak was bad
I tried on coco2 to find out irt runs fine on it!

WTF: what could it be ? The CPU! I replaced the 6809 to a HD63C09 and bang:
it hangs now.

Then I start to wonder: why in tha hell it works on all three computer
using the FD502/SuperIDE but not the ROMPAK ?

What changes ? The HD is 100% compatible BUT....it does drain less power
and the ROMPak doesnt' have the 2 grounding pads that Gene Hesket brags us
all about when designing new boards.

Does it make any sense for you ?

Should we put grounding pads even in rompaks ?

--
Long live the CoCoW