[Coco] Coco4?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Nov 16 12:52:18 EST 2013

On Saturday 16 November 2013 12:40:13 Mathieu Bouchard did opine:

> Le 2013-11-16 à 16:16:00, Bob Devries a écrit :
> > I think that producing a Disto SCII work-alike wouldn't be too
> > difficult, and the 4-in-1 could be "hacked" to accept SD cards and
> > "fix" its serial port. The SCSI part of the 4-in-1 seems to be fairly
> > solid, and I haven't had a lot of problems with the RTC.
>
> BTW, how do you use the RTC in practice, considering OS9 has multiple
> Y2K bugs, and DECB only has support for a wraparound 16-bit 60 Hz
> counter passed off as a TIMER ?

Those bugs are essentially gone from recent Nitros9.  Depending on the
clock module you use, no problems till 2100, or 2070.  The fixes were made
easy once y2k had come and gone, at least for the disto clock chip, we add
100 years to its output and subtract 100 years when setting it.  It rolls
over on 12/31 1999 to 01/01/1900, which all the clock chips available back
then did.  We were doing the revert at 1970 at one time, but those clock
modules should be out of use for a decade or more now.  But we'll be out of
space in the byte sized year kept correctly in the direct page at 2154.
Unless a higher power intervenes, no one reading this today will see 2154,
so its moot.  Point is, there is no problem today, and will not be for
decades.

> | Mathieu BOUCHARD ----- téléphone : +1.514.383.3801 ----- Montréal, QC

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)