[Coco] Fixing OS-9 format for those that "roll their own"

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Nov 16 11:28:10 EST 2013

On Saturday 16 November 2013 11:20:48 Steven Hirsch did opine:

> On Thu, 14 Nov 2013, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Is there anybody here still running a B&B whose drives are still
> > working?
>
> Yes, but not on a regular basis.  The Seagate ST-225 produces a lot of
> bearing noise and is admittedly not long for this world :-).

I have a couple tandons, a 10 and a 20, the spindle grounding springs are
toast & the grease dried out 15 years ago, so a squall while running is the
order of the day.  Data speed too is about 1/3rd of what the more modern
interfaces can manage.  Its been about 12 years since they've been spun up
and they needed help then, with a rubber hammer on the corner of the drive
castings to break the stiction loose.  I think we ought to understand that
some technologies die, and its best not to turn on the defibrillator.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

A good reputation is more valuable than money.
		-- Publilius Syrus
         law-abiding citizens.