[Coco] Nitros9 Mercurial

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 09:37:35 EST 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 8:49 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I don't believe, if you are already cd'd to the root of each tree, that
> anything other than "hg update" is required.  However, since I may want an
> older image at some point, I usually rename the tree by appending the
> current date, then doing the hg clone. to pull a whole new tree.  Terrabyte
> drives are nice. :)

One feature of code revision systems like mercurial and git is that
you can rewind your repository tree back to any older revision (hg
update -r some-old-revision) without keeping separate copies of the
directory trees. Of course, this only affects the source code checked
into the repository, and not any built files. However, it should be
possible to reproduce any older builds this way.

And if you for some reason want to keep separate copies, there is no
need to do a full hg clone repeatedly, you can just copy the old tree
to preserve it and run "hg pull; hg update" in the original tree.
"make clean" and "hg purge" will clean up your working tree so that
you get a clean build from scratch if you want. Alternatively, if you
are really worried about cruft in your working tree, do all builds in
a copied tree while reserving the original tree for "hg pull; hg
update" only.

Tormod