[Coco] Fixing OS-9 format for those that "roll their own"

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Nov 14 21:34:01 EST 2013

On Thursday 14 November 2013 21:23:15 Theodore (Alex) Evans did opine:

> On 11/14/2013 06:11 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I am not convinced the numsides checking is correct for a hard drive.
> >
> > Why? We access hard drives, or at least the superscsi drivers I use
> > do, by addressing the LSN, and the drive is smart enough to figure
> > out the side/platter that LSN is on.  So our descriptors should be
> > considered complete when they simply say its a hard drive.
> >
> > Do we have drivers that do care?  That I don't know.  Discuss?
>
> I am with Gene.  I don't get it.  So long as the descriptor settings
> (dmode) match that of the disk what does it matter with a hard drive?
> These only seem worthwhile settings to worry about for removable media
> and even then consistency is the key.

I am in violent agreement.  The next time I hobble down to the vicinity of
my machine, which has 2 1gb drives, I'll make it a point to play with that
on the 2nd drive, without formatting the drive since its my backup drive,
and see if it gives a rats a.  But I can modify the descriptor with dmode,
and the drive with ded, which should be enough to detect if anything else
cares.

The hobble is because I tore some ligaments in a knee the last week of
Sept, and while I've stacked the crutches in the corner 2 weeks ago, I
still have a quite noticeable limp.  Between diabetes and old age, one of
them is going to be the ~30~ to my story.  Some day. :(  But not right now,
I still have too much stuff to do & nowhere near done with it. :)

Sorta like the guy that said he started with nothing and still had most of
it. ;-)

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

I'm successful because I'm lucky.   The harder I work, the luckier I get.
         law-abiding citizens.