[Coco] Fixing OS-9 format for those that "roll their own"

David Ladd drencor at gamepixel.net
Thu Nov 14 21:10:57 EST 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 7:44 PM, Theodore (Alex) Evans <
alxevans at concentric.net> wrote:

> I am with Gene.  I don't get it.  So long as the descriptor settings
> (dmode) match that of the disk what does it matter with a hard drive? These
> only seem worthwhile settings to worry about for removable media and even
> then consistency is the key.

Actually there are some cases if a person is using a older IDE HDD that
does not support LBA.  In that case those HDD's do use the C/H/S.  If you
did do away with the need for those values anyone still using HDD's that
require that...Hmmm people that might even have the old B&B MFM/RLL setups
might have a problem as the CHS info is now gone.  Though in this day and
age who would still be using setups like that I don't know.

Though a local computer club I am in one of the members I was a friend with
died and left me his old setup.  Though whats funny is he was still using
it as it was, just without a floppy drive controller.  It was running a B&B
with a 20MB MFM.

Now the setup I have is a SuperIDE with CF which supports LBA so no need
for the CHS, but sadly there might actually still be people out there using
the CHS based setups that could actually be effected if they chose to
update to a current build in NitrOS-9 and the CHS is no longer supported.

At least that is my feeling anyway err 2cents worth anyway. :O