[Coco] Considering new HD6309E based board

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Nov 14 02:50:16 EST 2013

Le 2013-11-13 à 10:07:00, James Jones a écrit :

> That path was already taken by the MM/1 and other 68xxx-based systems back
> in the early 90s. Not having total wart-compatibility with the CoCo kept
> them from catching on as well as hoped, I think.

In the end, pretty much anything that makes sense as a successor to the
CoCo is an emulator running inside of a non-successor to the CoCo.

That's in part because the 6809 CPU line had no successors and was a
dead-end because there's a limit to how much you can delay obsolescence of
a 16-bit address bus using an external memory pager. Even if you can
afford to design extended versions of the 6809 itself, it's hard to move
forward when nearly all of the possible binary sequences are already
reserved for dealing with 8-bit math and 16-bit addresses.

Anything else is just rebranding new things with old glorious names, just
like the brand TRS-80 stood for at least four different
mutually-incompatible product lines. Or just like MacOS died at version 9
and NeXTStep/OpenStep was rebranded MacOS version 10.