[Coco] Considering new HD6309E based board

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Nov 10 03:32:48 EST 2013

On Sunday 10 November 2013 03:01:51 James Igou did opine:

> Hey Kip and the others that have replied to my original message.
>
> Things are progressing slowly, but part of that is the additional
> education I giving myself and the other side interests that keep
> popping up. I have multiple crystals on hand to run the 6309 processor
> at 2, 3.58, or 4 Mhz. That will probably evolve into some kind of
> frequency generator, but right now this is easier.
> I have replaced the 74LS chips I was using with 74HC chips and will
> eventually replace most of the glue circuitry with a CLPD.
> I have parts to use both the V9958 and V9990 video display processors
> and will eventually look at cascading multiple VDPs.
> Using GIME or 6847 output as a base layer for something like this may
> make genlocking problematic so I am not going to worry about trying
> that initially. As to NitrOS9, as OS-9 is not designed to support SMP
> (in any of its versions), I would imagine that implementing it in
> NitOS9 would be problematic. Also, Boisy Petrie and his friends have
> the development of this pretty much under their control.
> You will notice that while it is claimed to be an open source OS, that
> you can not obtain the source for it.

What the heck are you smoking?  It must be some really really good stuff if
you believe that.

The source code for Nitros9 is now in a mercurial(hg) repository, and can
be downloaded and installed on any machine on the planet, windows or linux,
maybe even intel macs, with one line of shell code.

hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/nitros9/code nitros9

That is one line of an approximately 35 line script that pulls in the
latest copies of lwtools, toolshed, and nitros9 sources, building and
testing it all as it goes.  That way you have the whole shebang on your
machine.

It admitted gets a little more complex for a windows user, but I have the
great good sense to not allow that %$#@*&()! virus magnet called windows
anyplace on my property, all my machines are running linux.

I need to register a new domain name again as dyndns is up to some dirty
tricks with the free registrations, but in the meantime, a fully built copy
of those repository's needed to build nitros9 can be seen at:

<http://204.111.64.149:6309/gene>

which is in fact this machine.

I would attach the whole script, but Dennis doesn't allow attachments here.

I could PM it to you, but that brings up another sore point, way too many
people, this list included, are now operating a whitelist on their incoming
servers, meaning they will not accept a PM from me, and I am tired of the
bounces because it usually takes 3 or 4 days for our server to try and
deliver to an address with a REJECT response.  You know who you are, so if
thats shoe fits, its your choice.