[Coco] Unusual problem

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Fri Nov 1 18:35:05 EDT 2013

Bill wrote:
> I have an unusual problem. I have a Coco 3 that acts very strangely.
>
> When hooked to my PC (running XP SP3) in the shed, it works great.
>
> It will read DriveWire 4 without a hitch, and it will run BOTH RS-DOS and
> NitrOS-9 disks beautifully. I save a NitrOS-9 image to a physical disc, and
> it boots with no problem.
>
> HOWEVER, when I bring it into the house and hook it up to my PC in the
> office (also running XP SP3), it will not run ANY NitrOS-9 images from
> DriveWire. I load a standard 40tk NitrOS-9 image into Drive 0, type DOS, and
> all it does is come back with 'OK'.
>
> Both computers have identical dual serial port cards in them with identical
> drivers. They are even running on the same ports (Com6).
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks

After looking at your message and all the replies, I'm still not sure what you
have done. There are two possibilities, 1) ALL Coco equipment was moved (serial
cable, Coco, floppy drives) so that the only differences were with the PCs, 2)
only the Coco itself was moved and everything else except the disks or disk
images are different.

Your result of an OK after attempting a DOS command means the OS-9 boot track
was not found so the disk (or image) was assumed by the system to not be OS-9.
If we are dealing with scenario 1), I'd say that the Drivewire server is not
configured identically on the two PCs. For scenario 2), I'd bet the office
floppy drive is single sided and the shed floppy is double sided.

Robert