[Coco] Unknown Coco 2 - Socketed

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Thu May 30 08:43:53 EDT 2013

If I remember correctly:

The last B version generally had eight 16 pin solder pads for 1x16/64 bit
chips, 2 populated 4x16/64 bit chip sockets or soldered in 4x64k chips and
two white connectors for a 64 bit satellite board.  (Of which I have/had two
copies.)  The 4x memory chips used a faster refresh, so the SAM was upgraded
as well as the VDG.

The next to last A version had 2 populated 4x16/64 bit chip sockets and two
white connectors for a 64 bit satellite board.  That would have required the
upgraded SAM, but I'm having doubts about my recollection there.

All earlier CoCo 2 boards had eight 16 pin sockets or soldered in memory
chips.  Most of the 16k boards had sockets and most of the factory 64k
boards were soldered.

 Bruce W.