[Coco] Reading the RS-DOS part of a VHD (or CF/HD)

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue May 28 23:59:13 EDT 2013

On Tuesday 28 May 2013 23:41:39 Bob Devries did opine:

> Oops, I forgot one vital bit of detail...
>
> How do I access the Disk BASIC virtual disks from OS-9. On a *real*
> Coco3 with SuperIDE
>
> Sorry. my bad.
>
> Regards, Bob Devries
> Dalby, QLD, Australia

If you are using the SuperIDE, then there s/b an IH.dd descriptor, but you
will probably need to configure it, and save the configured one where you
can make boot disks using it.

Configuration in its simplest essence consists of telling it an offset
value that is one sector greater than DD.SIZ from the first 3 bytes of the
hard drive in most cases.

I don't have mine booted ATM, but near the end of the dmode output when
doing a "dmode /IH" or for a disk file "dmode -ih.dd", and you will see an
OFS= and one more byte whose name escapes me ATM.  Copy DD.SIZ's 3 bytes,
adding one to the final byte, into those locations in the ih descriptor.

Note too, reading in the superdesc doc, that the stp value is the HDBDOS
disk stated in hexidecimal, where $80 there means virtual disk 128.