[Coco] How I got started with computers

George Ramsower georgera at gvtc.com
Tue May 28 19:38:00 EDT 2013

 Back in the early eighties, while working for Motorola in two-way radio
repair, the predecessor to Cell-Phones came to be.
 These radio systems were called Trunking Radio. They worked similar to
Cell-Phones. They had a microprocessor(MC6800) in them.
 I was intrigued with this. Micro-computers were beginning to appear, for
personal use. I liked repairing these radios and I became interested in
them. So, I decided to see what was available for me, that I could afford.
 First, I went to an Apple store. The salesman wanted me to buy a LOT more
than just an Apple II. However, I didn't know if I would like this computer
thing and I didn't want to spend any more than just a start-up computer, add
to it as I need the add-ons and go from there.
 Ultimately he dismissed me and ignored me once he knew I only wanted the
basic Apple II only.
 Then I went to Rat Shack and there was a 16K Coco that had a 6809 in it for
$400. I bought it.
 I took that Coco home, plugged it in to the TV and started playing around
with it. I liked it!
 Later, I added a cassette deck.
 Later, I added more memory(64K after modifying the mother board for that).
 Got a copy of Extended Color Basic rom from a co-worker who also fell in
love with the computer.
 Later, I added a disk drive.

 And then it was the beginning of a love affair that continues today.

 I now use a CC3 512k, OS9 L2 and I still love it.

 Of course, this PC can't be replaced with that old Coco but, I won't lose
my Coco!

George