[Coco] [CoCo] Just learning OS-9 - Questions

Boisy Pitre boisy at tee-boy.com
Tue May 28 10:00:07 EDT 2013

It's interesting that this discussion is happening now. In the CoCo IRC chat room, we briefly discussed how to improve the ability to create custom NitrOS-9 bootable images on cross-hosted environments (not on the CoCo itself).

The beauty of NitrOS-9 is that it can be configured in many different ways due to its modular architecture. It's also a curse because beginners feel overwhelmed with the tools and the process.

To alleviate that to a large degree, the NitrOS-9 Project makes available a number of canned disk images, preconfigured for various configurations (40T DS boot, 80T DS boot, DriveWire boot).

There is also the mb script found inside of the NITROS9 subfolder. The process is documented here:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/nitros9/index.php?title=Getting_Started_with_NitrOS-9#Customizing_Your_System

As someone pointed out, Config came with OS-9 Level One Vr. 2 and OS-9 Level Two for the CoCo and CoCo 3. This tool was written by Microware to attempt to make it easy for people to create bootable, custom disks. I always felt that config fell short from the ideal, not because it wasn't a good attempt, but because there are so many different possible configurations that could be built, that it would be hard to capture all of those permutations in one tool.

This has only gotten harder with NitrOS-9 which has a bunch more drivers and supports more hardware out of the box than either OS-9 Level One or OS- 9 Level Two did.

The current approaches to solve this problem are two fold:

1) Use cross-development tools and a cross-hosted environment (Mac/Linux/Win) to quickly build a custom disk image.
2) Use a self-hosted tool like Config to create a custom disk image.

Both approaches are plagued with this problem: How do you shoehorn all of the possible permutations into an easy to use, intuitive program that won't bog down new users. The more options the program has, the more frustrating it will be to use for people who don't know OS-9.

One must also be aware when building a custom boot disk that certain prerequisites exist: certain drivers need certain descriptors and file managers. If a module that is required is left out, it will result in a failed OS-9 boot. Then there's memory limitations. OS-9 boot files cannot be greater than a certain size, so you cannot just shove everything in the boot file.

This is not an easy problem to solve. OS-9 is >30 years old, and it's still something that new users grapple with. It is the nature of the beast, if you will.