[Coco] Just learning OS-9 - Questions

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sun May 26 12:46:57 EDT 2013

Nick Marentes wrote:
> I've starting learning about OS-9 and I'm taking it slowly starting from Page 1.
>
> I have a few questions...
>
> 1) I'm following the book "OS-9 Level Two and the Tandy Color Computer 3"
> written by Rodger Alexander and Scott Honaker and in chapter 2, they explain
> configuring OS-9. They use the command CONFIG but that doesn't appear to work
> off my Nitros-9 Drivewire version image.

I don't have that book but the important question is what did you mean by, "but
that doesn't appear to work." Did you compile the disk image yourself? Is it a
"nightly" build from http://www.nitros9.org/latest/ ? Which version of NitrOS-9
are you using, coco3 or coco3_6309?
It looks like Config may not even be included as a command on these disks or
maybe even in the makefile for the cmds directory. Attempting to use the command
would give an error, probably 216, indicating the command was not found.

You should be able to build custom disks using the scripts found in the NitrOS-9
sub-directory. The script will build a disk without requiring the config command.

However if you want to use the command, you may need to compile that command or
I can send you a copy.

> 2) What is OS-9 Level 2 Version 3.00?

Not heard of that version. Maybe that's a reference to the equivalent of a
Level3. There is a Level3 in the NitrOS-9 source code.