[Coco] TRS-80 X-Pad

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sat May 25 12:16:47 EDT 2013

I don't think the Hires adapter could affect the x-pad as it connects through the cartridge port. It consists of a cart wired to a pen and a pad. Since the whole pad is hard plastic and not some soft, pressure sensitive material, the only thing I can figure is the pen and pad are electro magnetic, the pen creating magnetic field and the pad's "sensors" sending back the location of the pen. The pad can sense when the pen is "near" but not "on" the drawing surface. So I would think the pad has a magnetic grid of sorts that is equivilent to the resolution and could not be modified. I am just assuming here, considering the technology of the time (1982) and the construction of the unit. No infared, no light sensing, no pressure sensitive. It's all solid grey plastic construction except the pen which is metal and looks like a ball point pen.
here's a link to some pics

https://sites.google.com/site/dabarnstudio/temp-pics

Bill Pierce
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/