[Coco] EmCeeD for Linux has (kinda, sorta) complete functionality!

Juan Castro jccyc1965 at gmail.com
Sat May 18 19:04:22 EDT 2013

Sure took me some time!

For those not in the know, EmCee is a DriveWire-like server for the MC-10,
only it works with filesystem semantics instead of disk I/O semantics. You
can use it if your MC-10 has an extension board by Darren Atkinson (Hi
Darren!), or you can CLOAD a binary of it if you have a plain 16K memory
expnsion by Tandy.

I can read and write data files with OPEN #n, PRINT #n, and (LINE) INPUT
#n! That was the last thing missing.

Things are still far from complete, but now it's totally usable. What's
still missing, that I can recall, is:

- The only things that can me LOADM'ed are .C10 files. Hey, it's good
enough to load Pac-Man.
- No text translation for BASIC programs. They are saved as tokenized
files, and only tokenized files can be LOAD'ed.
- No screen saving.
- No filename extension cooking. If a file is named MYPROG.BAS, then
LOAD"MYPROG" won't work.
- No filename case inverting. I believe I should, by default, show
lowercase characters in UNIX as non-reverse video characters.
- The base directory is always the current directory where the server was
run from. That should be configurable.
- Printing always goes to /tmp/emceeprint.DEVICENAME.txt -- that, too,
should be configurable.
- Speaking of which, there should be a configuration file.
- And a proper SourceForge project, complete with makefile, license etc.
(It is GPLv2+, it's in the source header.)

For now, if you want to play with it, get it from the URL below...

http://users.vialink.com.br/jcastro/emceed.c

...compile it under Linux with...

gcc -Wall -o emceed emceed.c

...and run it with...

./emceed /dev/ttyS0

...or whatever your RS-232 UNIX name is.

Cheers!
Juan