[Coco] And another question

James Jones jejones3141 at gmail.com
Wed May 15 13:14:38 EDT 2013

Sure, SNOBOL4. I don't know whether I still have my copy of Griswold,
Poage, and Polonsky stored away, but I may. It was sort of the ultimate
development of some pattern-matching based languages that were inspired by
formal language theory; the other one I recall was what, COMIT? [peeks at
Wikipedia] Yes, COMIT. I even got to meet James Gimpel once in 1979. There
are still echoes of SNOBOL in the C standard <string.h> routines (see
strspn and strbrk, and compare with SNOBOL SPAN and BREAK.)

James