[Coco] BASIC09 - How good is it?

Rogelio Perea os9dude at gmail.com
Tue May 14 05:51:30 EDT 2013

On Tue, May 14 2013, Nick Marentes wrote:

Oh? So there is no editor apart from the standard OS-9 one?

> Surely someone has written a programmers editor for OS-9 by now?
>
> And does this mean that I can't type a program and immediately run it to
> see if it is working?
>
> I run my code hundreds of time in the course of creating my program.
>
> Compiling each time would drive me nuts.

Not sure I follow you, but... Basic09 has a built in editor that follows
the style of the OS9 EDIT macro editor. The one advantage of using
Basic09's built in editor is that each line you enter will be checked on
the fly and any errors immediately flagged. It takes some time to get
comfortable moving around the code using this editor but once you're used
to it the editing flows with no second thought. Once the procedure /routine
is entered you can test right away, no need to compile - you'd do that once
your whole program is over and done.

If you want to use another editor (like VED) you can do so, write the code
there, save it on disk and load it from within Basic09.

Chose your poison :-)

-- RP