[Coco] Graphics modes

Bill Gunshannon billg999 at cs.uofs.edu
Mon May 13 16:49:58 EDT 2013

OK, moving along nicely at this point but now I have a new kind of
question.

I have been trying out differnt kinds of adapters for getting my
COCO3 to display on a decent monitor as all I really have from
the "good ole days" is a CM5.  It works, but the screen is tiny.

So, I now have a box that seems to do a good job of taking the
composite video and displaying it on a VGA LCD monitor.  Now for
the kickers....

The "Three Stooges" displays great.  DECB is somewhat blurry and
has vertical lines running thru it.  When OS0 starts to boot up
the display of modules loading is pretty good.  White background
mostly black letters (might be some artifacting causing some of
the letters to appear to be other colors).  But then, when it gets
to the shell the screen seems to go back to the same green it was
under DECB and it has the vertical lines again.  Of course, the
font is smaller so in general it becomes unusable again.

Can some one explain what the graphics modes are during the startup
process for OS9 and where I might go to change them into something
usable for me?

Once I get done playing with all these adapters  I will let people
know which work and which don't.  Maybe I need a game or two to run
to test those modes as well.  I don't imagine there is any kind of
a display benchmark program floating around anywhere.

bill

billg999 at cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |