[Coco] Memory Map

Louis Ciotti lciotti1 at gmail.com
Tue May 7 13:55:36 EDT 2013

Where can I get a memory map of the CoCo?

In my initial attempt at assembly programing I first used Disk EDTASM in
XRoar, and programed the example in the Disk EDTASM manual and it produced
a checker board pattern on the screen like the manual said it should.  I
then tried using lwasm, and as09 and it did not work.  I tracked the
problem to the "ORG $1200" statement.  If I remove that line the
program runs in XRoar as it should if assembled with lwasm, but not as09.

Here is the program (Hopefully this looks ok, need a monospaced font):

       org     $1200
begin  jmp     start
       fdb     done-begin
start  lda     #$f9
       ldx     #$400
screen sta     ,x+
       cmpx    #$600
       bne     screen
wait   jsr     [$a000]
       beq     wait
       clr     $71
       jmp     [$fffe]
done   equ     *
       end

The Disk TASM manual states that $1200 is used as the starting address
because the "DOS" program for Disk EDTASM occupies from $0600 - $11FF.  Now
if I use lwasm I of course do not have DOS in memory so $0600-$11FF is
empty.