[Coco] Multi-Processor 6809 Computer System

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Thu May 2 18:52:24 EDT 2013

On 2/05/2013 1:14 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> There is a 3rd 400lb gorilla here too. Since the GIME is in charge of the
> memory access, interleaving video access with cpu access, the speeds of the
> memory would soon be found to be a limiting factor also.

Good point!

> The closest we will ever get practically would be
> some sort of an FPGA version with a base that fit the GIME socket, and
> which would need its own wall wart power supply.

I would expect the GIME could be done in a CPLD. Video controllers are
surprisingly simple; basically just a collection of counters, a handful of
registers, and little more. Some of the low-power devices might be made to
run off the GIME socket power with suitable conversion.

> When this first was being discussed, I downloaded the 'starter kit'
> software from both of the vendors mentioned, finding first that it was
> married to windows and neither wine nor crossover office would run it.

As someone has mentioned, the Altera software (Quartus) has a native Linux
version. If you're talking about the DE1 software specifically, then yes,
that's tied to Windows, but I'm surprised that won't run under emulation.
Besides, it's little use except for programming the flash memory on the DE1.

Regards,