[Coco] Fest Ideas was Aaron's apology and Coco Contest Results

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Wed May 1 10:33:41 EDT 2013

On Apr 30, 2013, at 7:37 PM, "John W. Linville" <linville at tuxdriver.com> wrote:

> I won't try to deny anyone from bidding through a proxy.  But FWIW,
> I would vote against any fundamental changes to the auction format.
> The auction is part of the fun of going to the event, and even the
> proxy bidding this year was enough to suck some of the fun out of it
> by making parts of the auction drag.

Yes, and a solution to that which would be transparent to the auction was already suggested by someone. They (I forget who?) said folks should just put in their max bid like e-Bay does. So, in the chat room, someone would say "I will go up to $25 for that" and thus, it's a true proxy bid and doesn't need realtime. That completely solves that...

...and, thanks to the delay of the stream, there would be NO SNIPING :) so those at the Fest in person could always win by bidding .25 more ;-)

> If we need more funds for the CoCoFEST! then put the stuff on eBay.
> If we are getting enough to support the event than keep it live,
> as a perk to draw greater attendance.

Yeah, but who will do that? I have been suggesting that for years, but e-Bay is a ton of work. I have been selling on e-Bay since 1999 with hundreds of transactions, so for the things I do, I have it down, but for most normal folks, it's a huge amount of work.

	-- A