[Coco] FW: Multi-Processor 6809 Computer System

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Wed May 1 07:49:05 EDT 2013

On 1/05/2013 1:20 PM, Kip Koon wrote:

> That is very interesting.  Would you be able to share with our group your
> design as a study aid?  I for one would like to see what you did.

If you mean the PCI bus arbitrator, then unfortunately, no. It was done
commercially for a client who owns the IP for the whole design, so I'm not
at liberty to disclose it. However, the whitepaper for the wishbone arbiter
is freely available.

> It is beginning to sound me that there is more than one way to create a
> multi-core 6809 computer.

Definitely!

> I am envisioning a system with expansion
> capabilities to allow the user/creator/builder to  use as many slave 6809
> boards as needed as one possibility, but the FPGA idea seems a lot better.
> The speed increases could be substantial!

I guess the caveat is with the FPGA you're limited by the size of the
device... but you do get accelerated CPU cores and very fast inter-CPU I/O!

Regards,