[Coco] Drivewire

Bill Gunshannon billg999 at cs.uofs.edu
Thu Mar 28 13:52:28 EDT 2013

> On Mar 28, 2013, at 12:45 PM, Bill Gunshannon <billg999 at cs.uofs.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Drivewire runs over the Bit Banger, right?  Just how painfully
>> slow is it?
>
> Faster than the RS232 pack. :)

Seriously?  How is that possible?

>> And, to ask once again as I think this question got missed
>> earlier.  Has anyone come with a hack that allows more than
>> one RS232 Pack to be used?
>
> Most certainly. Many of us who ran OS-9 BBSes had multiple serial ports.
> It just involves making a slight mod to alter where it mapped in the CoCo
> memory map.

That's the mod I am looking for.  I am sure I can hack the /t2 driver
to make multiple ports possible.

>             There was even a hardware mod that could add a second port to
> the same pack.

Be interested in that, as well as I thought the UART was single port.
If it's actuall dual port adding a MAX232 should be trivial.  Or
maybe use the second port to talk to my uDrive instead of hacking
the modme pak like I planned. :-)

> And someone made a 4-port RS232 pak, didn't they?

I certainly don't remember anything like that when I was originally
doing CoCo.

bill

billg999 at cs.scranton.edu |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |