[Coco] CoCo Ethernet

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Wed Mar 27 20:10:16 EDT 2013

On Mar 27, 2013, at 3:58 PM, Aaron Wolfe <aawolfe at gmail.com> wrote:
> Right now we already have a fairly capable web server, a telnet
> client, a simple SMTP client (it can send mail, but that's all), and
> some other networking programs in one state or another.

This sounds closer to what Boisy is working on, with his ArduinoCoCo acting as a server for disk images and such.

But, at the level, doesn't a $35 Raspberry Pi in an $8 case with a USB power supply basically become that, running Linux and the normal DW stuff? We could have that going in a few days.

But what I want to do is allow the CoCo to open an IP address and do things on the internet. I know Roger Taylor's implementation allowed for remote mounting of disks and such -- I assume this type of stuff has been rolled in to the DW server at some point? Other than the CoCoFEST!, I haven't seen DW in action and I am a few years out of the loop.

> There are some "TCP/IP on a chip" solutions from WizNet that provide
> an interface very similar to the DriveWire TCP API.  I believe it
> would be quite possible to use these as a drop in replacement for the
> functionality DW provides, but I'm just a software guy (and not much
> of one at that!).

Yes. In fact, there is a $20 Arduino ethernet shield (add on card for those not in to Arduino) that uses the WizNet chip.

BUT, there is also a $25 iChip from ConnectOne, which Mark Marlette brought to our attention years ago. It does all the TCP/IP stuff (tons of features) and can talk TTL serial to Ethernet with support for HTTP, FTP, SMTP, etc. built in. But, it would be more flexible to use something like the Arduino processor so it can implement custom things.

I think Boisy's project, hooking an Arduino directly to the CoCo expansion port, would be the best solution.

But then I get back to thinking a Raspberry Pi might also do it all, and more. Hrm.

-
Allen Huffman - PO Box 22031 - Clive IA 50325 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT only)
Sent from my MacBook.

22nd Annual "Last" Chicago CoCoFEST! April 27-28, 2013. Lombard, IL. http://www.glensideccc.com - And check out the CoCo-X project: http://kck.st/16fAwkf