[Coco] Introducing the next generation of Color Computer, the CoCo-X

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Mon Mar 25 18:31:02 EDT 2013

On 25/03/2013 11:55 PM, Bill Gunshannon wrote:

> While everyone seems hot on this kickstarter thing I feel it is
> necessary to point out the fact that I supported one of these
> kickstart projects last year.  It attained its goal, supposedly
> started with projected delivery of December 2012.  As of this
> point I have seen nothing and visits to the site have no current
> date when people can actually expect to get anything.

Unfortunately hardware development of any kind is an expensive and
time-consuming process. And production ten times more so. The issue is
compounded by economies of scale - to make a product more affordable you
need to make more of them, which of course requires more capital investment.

A lot of hardware projects would never see the light of day without some
sort of funding from the crowd.

I'm involved in "Commercial R&D" where clients come to us to turn their
ideas into electronics products. 9 times out of 10 they never even get off
the ground, because most people don't appreciate the level of effort (and
expertise) required, and how that translates to $$$.

Even from those projects whose development _is_ fully funded, there are
abject commercial failures. So it's little surprise that many "hobbyist"
projects on Kickstarter never eventuate. I would expect however, that most
backers go in with their eyes open.

That said, I think Gary's track record and the fact that he already has a
significant portion of the IP complete is very reassuring. There's nothing
particularly technically challenging in the actual hardware design itself
(Gary's done a lot of the hard work already); his challenge I suspect will
be designing a board at the right price point for the market.

Regards,