[Coco] Mastering OS-9 on the Tandy Color Computer

Fri Mar 22 17:27:58 EDT 2013

Hi,

Checking http://www.os9projects.com/Tutorials/OS9Books/MasteringOS9.html

It appears that nothing is missing, that during a rewrite "10" was
eliminated. Note the Third Edition.

Page 147 is followed by page 148  Page 147 ends cleanly and 148 starts
cleanly.

Or maybe it is a day of rest, see the end of this post for more details from
a file not online (I have a complete copy on my NAS)

SHF

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Pierce" <ooogalapasooo at aol.com>
To: <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2013 2:00 PM
Subject: Re: [Coco] Mastering OS-9 on the Tandy Color Computer

> I'll check and see if I have a complete one and replace it
>
> Bill P

MASTERING OS-9
On the Color Computer 3

This book was first published by Paul K. Ward. Paul wanted to make it as
easy as possible for people to start using OS-9. The main reason was that he
and a group of other OS-9 enthusiasts were working on a 68000 based computer
that would be running OS-9. This was intended to be a low cost machine that
woud be a natural upgrade for CoCo OS-9 users. It was called the "MM/1" for
Multi-Media (model) 1. It was built around a 68000 based controller chip
rahter than a straight CPU as the controller had some built in functions
that reduced circuit board size and cost. The drawback was that you couldn't
upgrade the machine later with a CPU change as is common in the PC world
now. The macine was designed "by committee" -- to many cooks led to a lot of
compromises and a long development time, both of which hurt the machines
sales. Only a few hundred of the machines were built. Frank Hogg Labs built
a more robust machine, the TC1 (Tom Cat 1), but it was a bit more expensive
and probably sold fewer copies than the MM/1. There just wasn't a lot of
high quality, inexpensive software for OS-9/68000. What was out there was
for the industrial community and rather costly. OS-9's main claim to fame
was in industrial control applications, such as robotics and automated
machinery.

I approached Paul about reprinting the book about six years after his two
printing runs had been sold. He didn't mind at all as long as it was updated
and he was given proper credit. I was only a very light user of OS-9, no
programming at all, so I enlisted the help of Rick Ulland, and avid OS-9
enthusiast and columnist for "the world of 68' micros". I updated the
Appendices while Rick went over all the commands. When Rick finished, I read
them and gave them a try. If I couldn't understand something, he and I went
over it until I did. If I could understand it, the average CoCo user should
be able to! This seems to have worked well, as it was a great seller at
CoCoFests for a couple years plus there were quite a few mail order sales. I
think I sold just over 200 copies over a three year period. Rick received a
master copy for his efforts and sold another 75-100 copies.

If you're still using OS-9 on a CoCo 3, or want to learn,  this is probably
the best text on the subject ever written. It goes along in an easy lesson
by lesson (day by day) format and was written with the novice OS-9 user in
mind. It's also indexed enough to be a big help even to experienced users,
especially with those rarely used commands.

Francis (Frank) Swygert