[Coco] OT Linux question

John Donaldson johnadonaldson at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 21 07:35:29 EDT 2013

A few years ago, I was asked to take over for the SysAdm when he went in for
bypass surgery. We were using Windows 2003 Servers which I have to either fix or
reboot at least once a day. I had my own network back in Engineering that used
Linux RedHat Servers. The reason I used Linux was these were Medical Image
Servers and the customers demanded them. I had a couple of spare servers, so one
day I wheeled one up to the front office server room. Over the next few days I
created accounts, copied files and data over to the Linux server. Then one
morning I came in early and switched the entire company over to the Linux
server. I closed the door and went back to Engineering. The sysAdm came back to
work six weeks later.  It was a week after he came back to work before he
noticed the change and none of the rest of the company even noticed the change.
Over 90% of the commercial servers now use Linux with Window Virtual Servers
running under the Linux. We have one Linux server here that has five Window
Virtual Servers running on it. Kinda like have your cake and eating it too. LOL

John
AB8YZ