[Coco] OT Linux question

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Wed Mar 20 14:33:16 EDT 2013

This -may- turn into an overly long rant; we'll see - but you've been
warned!

First - regarding the OP's question on PDFs:

I run Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (which is getting long in the tooth, but it does
everything I need so far); I have a number of utilities installed for
the purpose of PDF rendering, chief among them "ghostscript". There's
also "evince".

For PDF creation, though - it's actually kinda murky to me! I know that
it works (I do it fairly regularly) - but what's doing it, I don't know
off-hand. Looking thru my package manager, I see a lot of stuff checked
for PDF usage; one that stands out is something called "UniConvertor";
but IIRC, most of the stuff goes thru ghostscript (for postscript
output), and then on to a pdf via ps2pdf - all of which seem to be a
part of the ghostscript package.

So - I guess the answer would be "ghostscript"; I've never had a problem
generating such files; in fact, I've got my scanner set up to easily
allow it to sense the press of it's "quick buttons" and scan a document
to a PDF file. It took more than a bit of fiddling around to get it to
work, but now that it's set up, it works well (though usually for
scanning I break out XSane).

I've been using Linux in one form or another since about 1995; I first
started off with an old plaything distro called "MonkeyLinux" (which is
still available, btw); it ran on top of a DOS filesystem (if you can
believe that!). I had it running on a 386 laptop with 6 meg of RAM
(story in itself).

I started playing with Linux after a friend introduced me to it; I don't
remember the exact specifics, but I do know it involved some hacking on
an old pizzabox SPARC machine. At any rate, I could see there was a lot
more power there; it reminded me of the time I had spent playing with
AIX on an RS/6000 box one of my old employers had. It also reminded me
of the fun and spirit of the Color Computer, OS-9, as well as my old
Amiga boxes.

I didn't jump ship from Windows immediately; it was a gradual
transition, but by about 1998 or so, I was completely on-board. The only
time I use Windows now is when it's for my work or something; although
I've been contemplating setting up another box for when my Oculus Rift
arrives (though even there, I will have options under Linux as well).

I think that's what I like most about Linux - the extreme number of
options, in addition to the open-source nature of almost all of it
(about the only closed source stuff I have on my Linux box is the NVidia
graphics drivers, and a copy of EagleCAD that I installed to play with
once). I like the fact that you can get just about any modern platform
to run Linux; heck, even my phone (Android) runs Linux! My TV runs
Linux, now that I think about it!

Yes - there are some things that Linux isn't good for; as Bill (IIRC?)
mentioned, for audio workstation use (talking production here - regular
audio output and such works just fine for day-to-day stuff), there are
limitations. As with everything, though, over time even that will be
overcome.

I would say most of the issues with any development on Linux, when it
comes to needing hardware drivers, is the reluctance of hardware
manufacturers to write drivers, or release the specs to allow the
community to write drivers for the hardware. Instead, most of the time
the community has to resort to a reverse engineering effort, and that's
only available for the "popular" hardware. Anything niche will have few
or no developers around with the skills to reverse engineer the
hardware. It's been this way for a long time, only barely moving in a
different direction over the years.

Other than that, I've rarely found an area of computing that Linux was
up to the task for. To say that Linux isn't advanced or capable is
either outright lying, or ignorance of what it can do (and I highly
suspect the latter). The majority of the internet and the web relies on
Linux; most web hosting uses it extensively, Google uses it extensively,
heck - I bet even Microsoft uses it extensively, but are keeping
tight-lipped about it (that, or they have a large backroom of monkeys
whose only job is to regularly reboot their servers).

Yes, I am a Linux "fanboy"; I'm not wedded at the hip to it - show me
something better, with open-source code, and a large community of users,
I'll have a look. BSD is something I have looked into - but what I hate
about it is its "brains-fall-out-open-license"; both Microsoft and Apple
LOVE BSD - because they can easily take what they want from it, and not
give anything back if they don't want to (talking source code, etc
here); Apple has contributed back, but I have no doubt that they
probably took some things and didn't contribute anything back for it,
but we'll never know what those areas were. Doesn't matter though; the
license allows for it.

Which is why some companies hate Linux - because of the GPL. But some
"get it". Some (companies and individuals) understand that they may not
always be around, but that they want their code to live on. The GPL
allows for this to happen. Think about all the struggles our CoCo
community (and other "retro" communities) have had (and continue to
have) because of "closed-source"! Richard Stallman foresaw a lot of this
back in the 1980s when he set up the Free Software Foundation and the
GPL. There's always been this "struggle" in the microcomputer world over
source code and software. I'm not really sure why; money plays a big
role in it - so does an "art vs. engineering" aspects of software and
software development, I think.

The sad part about it all is that given mere years of time passing,
software becomes obsolete so damn quickly, so why is everybody so intent
on keeping it secret and unavailable for so long? Ok - well, that does
it; like I said - fair warning and all.

/rant

Andrew L. Ayers
Glendale, Arizona