[Coco] NitrOS-9 Boot help for CoCoDskUtil

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sun Mar 17 14:42:56 EDT 2013

Luis,
The OS9 boot section (trk 34) is loaded into RSDOS memory when the DOS command in entered. It loads the 18 sectors of track 34 to address &H2600 and then executed as any other machine language program. Once executed, it moves itself into place and starts setting up the OS9 system then loads the OS9Boot file from the location pointed to by the "boot" section of the the bootfile. Once the OS9Boot file is loaded, control is turned over to the OS9 system. It's a little more complex than this, but that's a rouch scetch of what happens.

The RUN"BOOT" used on early OS9 Level 1 version 1.0 OS9 disks was a basic loader for OS9 as the the early version of RSDOS had a disfunctional "DOS" comand. This why there was an RSDOS "boot" disk with level v1.00.
This was fixed with the next version of RSDOS and OS9 Level1 version 2.00.

Hope this helps
Bill P

Bill Pierce
ooogalapasooo at aol.com