[Coco] Intro and need some help (Was: Re: (no subject))

Bill Gunshannon billg999 at cs.uofs.edu
Sat Mar 9 10:29:06 EST 2013

> Bill,
> As Gene Heskett says "Drivewire is the cat's meow".
> In short, Drivewire is like having one, big, endless hard drive... with a
> built in midi synth... and an internet terminal.. and.... Oh well, just
> get a Coco serial to DB-9 cable

Got that from Cloud9 when I got the SuperIDE.  I was already thinking
of DriveWire then (actually, since the first time I read about it I
have been thinking about how hard it might be to do on other hardware
like the PDP-11 which I also have a bunch of.)

>                                 and/or a DB-9 to USB if your PC has no
> DB-9,

Yeah, got them, too. I have a lot of hardware floating arond here.

>      Install DW on the PC, get HDBDOS and a DW NirtOS9 boot..... HEAVEN.

I have DW devices in my NitrOS9 boot now.  I assume once I get a
server up all this will work.

> My Coco has access to over 60g of Coco virtual disks and software.
> Instantly!!
> Drivewire features a Midi synth that the Coco can send Midi data to to
> tunr your PC into a big Midi synth.

Not too interested in that as I have a MIDI Keyboard.  Can it talk to
that as well?

> DW will allow the Coco to access the HTTP and FTP and download software
> from the internet through your PC

Not sure how all that would work although I did see a telnet client
and an inetd (but no servers?)  I assume that's what the telnet is for.

> DW allows you to create a "terminal" window on your PC and access your
> Coco as if you were at the keyboard.

I do that now.  :-)  Thru the RS232 PAK.

> The best part... it's FREE!!! The only cost is the cable. If you don't
> want to make one, Mark at Cloud 9 sells them
> Here's the link:
>
> https://sites.google.com/site/drivewire4/
>
> And you need Coco software?
> Try here:
>
> http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
>
> And if you like Coco music... just try my link below.
>
> Enjoy!
> Bill P
>
> Music from the Tandy/Radio Shack Color Computer 2 & 3
> Bill Pierce
> ooogalapasooo at aol.com

I will hit all of these later today.

bill