[Coco] 2 wasted cpus?

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sat Mar 9 01:38:28 EST 2013

They also have a BUNCH of HD63B09EP

Bill P

Bill Pierce
ooogalapasooo at aol.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Kip Koon <computerdoc at sc.rr.com>
To: 'CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts' <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Fri, Mar 8, 2013 11:57 pm
Subject: Re: [Coco] 2 wasted cpus?

Willi,
I never liked the idea of pulls, so I found a far eastern source called
HKInventory who have thousands of MC68B09EPs.  That is where I bought a
couple of MC68B09Ps for my project to duplicate Grant Searle's 6-Chip 6809
Computer design. The link below shows their inventory of MC68B09EP chips in
stock.  It also shows some PLCC44 versions which I did not even know
existed!

http://hskj.hkinventory.com/0703_001A/OfferSearch.asp

You are right!  The MC68B09P just needs an external crystal & two 22pf
capacitors (if I remember correctly) to operate properly.  On my first try
building the 6-chip 6809 computer, the MC68B09P came up and running!  Before
connecting it up to anything, I measured the E clock signal from the '09 and
saw a nearly perfect square-wave.  My trouble centered around getting the
serial cable wired correctly.  I did not have any problems anywhere else in
the circuit.  :)  After some work, I was talking to my first homebuilt 6809
based microcomputer from my PC!  I used a serial to USB cable and
Hyperterminal on Windows 7 that I transferred from XP.  It was really great
to see my creation function right off from the start!  Kudos go to Grant
Searle for a fantastic design.  It was easy to follow.  I programmed in a
Basic program to list the RAM contents which worked perfectly!  I even had
it outputting everything in hexadecimal!  I loved it.  My father was quite
impressed since it all was and still is on a solderless beardboard setup.
Anyhow, if you look on the internet, you can still find sources for the old
Motorola chips!  Unless you are lucky the first time, it may take a little
research and time to find a source you like.
Kip