[Coco] 2 wasted cpus?

Willi Kusche CoCo at wilserv.com
Fri Mar 8 14:04:07 EST 2013

Hi!

    Below my signature is the text of a message posted to comp.sys.apple2 last year.

Willi

============================Message text:
Alex Freed                                      Jul 20 2012, 5:08 pm
A few strange thing happened: the 6809 CPUs bought from Jameco didn't
work. Naturally first I suspected my board, but an older CPU worked
fine. I got myself a Tandy Color Computer (for $20 on e-bay) to play
with the 6809 and the CPUs from Jameco didn't work in it either. OK, so
the web page says the CPUs are "pulls". Fortunately the Jameco store is
just 5 minutes driving from my house. The technician tells me the
"pulling" was done by Motorola and they were refurbished at the factory.
And apparently mislabed. The chips are operational all right but with
internal oscillator - a crystal between pins 39 and 38. Then Q and E
signals are DRIVEN by the chip. In other words what I got were 6809
*without* the "E" suffix, but labeled  MC6809EP. These can't be used for
the Mill. Need to get them elsewhere.

At the same time I still can't figure out how to write an OS9 floppy. I
had high hopes that the CAT9 program posted to the Apple6809 group will
help to figure out which way - PO or DO is right. Guess what - both are
OK with this program! Does anyone have an Apple OS9 floppy that is known
good? I'll feel better if I can test that OS9 runs.

-Alex