[Coco] OT: FPGA Guys out there

John Kent jekent at optusnet.com.au
Mon Mar 4 14:59:26 EST 2013

The book I started out with was VHDL 3rd edition by Douglas Perry, but I
can't honestly say that I found it very useful.
Most of my understanding was gleaned by looking at other examples and
trying to figure out what logic was being implemented. Xilinx and Altera
have a lot of their reference material online. Altera Quartus software
used to have a tutorial link on the start up page of their software.

Tony Burch of Burch Electronic Designs (BurchED.com) used to sell
training videos for a reasonable price, but last time I checked his web
site it was blank, so he might have moved on to other things. If you
google for VHDL or Verilog Tutorial you are bound to find plenty of
reference web sites. My FPGA page has a few references, but I haven't
updated it in a while:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/jekent/FPGA.htm

You may find some University web pages with useful FPGA information on
them as well. I think there is a useful VHDL reference site at some of
the German Universities (University of Hamburg ? - something like that)

I tried to to implement a 6809 design straight off from some code, but
it was too complicated to figure out and didn't work anyway, so I went
back to basics and modified a simple 4 instruction micro processor by
Tim Boeske (sp?) that fitted on one A4 page. The Douglas Perry book gave
some clues as to how to design a CPU, but the example was incomplete.

John.

http://www.johnkent.com.au
http://members.optusnet.com.au/jekent