[Coco] SuperComm and DW4 virtual modems

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sun Mar 3 18:45:16 EST 2013

On 03/02/2013 11:04 PM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 11:53 PM, Joel Ewy <jcewy at swbell.net> wrote:
>
>>> Well, I installed a program called vttest, at which SuperComm is failing
>>> pretty spectacularly.  I'm trying to remember if there were other OS-9
>>> terminal emulators back in the day that might have done a better job at
>>> pretending to be a vt100 or ANSI terminal...
>>>
>>> JCE
>>>
>> OK, I can already tell that KBComm (
>> ftp://os9archive.rtsi.com/OS9/OS9_6X09/COM/kbcom.ar ) has better vt100
>> emulation than supercomm.  The web pages and menus in links2 are rendered
>> properly.  I think I'll be using KBComm, at least for now.
>>
> Good to know!  I've always used supercomm simply because it's in the
> nitros9 cvs and it worked well enough for testing the basic
> functionality, not because there is anything particularly special
> about it.  The DW4 virtual modems should work with any OS9 terminal
> program, so I can update the examples etc to recommend using KBComm or
> whatever if you find it to be superior.  Please let me know how things
> turn out.

Aside from speaking ANSI better, KBComm has, in my opinion, an easier to
use keyboard arrangement.  For instance, in SuperComm, you need to do
<alt><[arrow keys]> to move the cursor around, but you just use the
arrow keys in KBComm.  Maybe there's something even better out there.  I
haven't done anything like a complete survey.

JCE