[Coco] The perfect mas storage for the coco

Johann Klasek johann+coco at klasek.at
Tue Jun 25 07:28:54 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 11:29:09AM -0700, Steve Bjork wrote:
> On 6/24/2013 10:53 AM, Luis Fernández wrote:
> >Look how the size, would be ideal for coco, similar, no?
> >Micro-SD Memory
> >Internal perhaps.
> >http://www.sd2iec.co.uk/catalog/i1.html
> >http://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/SD2IEC
> >
> No.
>
> Not a great idea for the CoCo.  The CoCo talk to the F.D.C. chip
> directly. The C-64 talks to the Floppy drive over the a serial bus.
> That's easier to emulate.

I think this is not true. The emulation of the serial interface is just the top of the
iceberg. SD2IEC is a true drive emulation, where the whole 6502 system
(running code in floppy memory and so on) is emulated. To emulate a
floppy controller like a WD 179x seems to be just a simple task to me.
Only the interfacing is extraordinary and takes more effort to accomplish.

Johann

--
The dragon on my side: http://klasek.at/hc/dragon/