[Coco] Tandy Coco hard drive controller

Steve Bjork 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Mon Jun 24 14:41:03 EDT 2013

On 6/24/2013 8:19 AM, L. Curtis Boyle wrote:
> Oh, it existed all right. It was a $129 adaptor for a "real" hard drive controller board, compatible with the huge (and hugely expensive) hard drives that Radio Shack sold for their other TRS-80's. The descriptors for it were included on the OS-9 Config disk, I believe, and supported up to a 70MB drive (going from memory here), with smaller options as well. I don't know anybody that used them, though, except I think Steve Bjork did early on, as these were very primitive and expensive drives at the time.
>
> L. Curtis Boyle
> curtisboyle at sasktel.net

Yes, I did have a Tandy hard drive on the CoCo.  The control was just a
SCSI interface but the Tandy branded hard drive was $5,000 for just 10
Megabytes.  This was around the time that OS-9 (Level one) came out for
the CoCo.

I had written my own OS for software development and patched it to
handle the SCSI interface and the 10 MB hard drive.

Steve