[Coco] COCO Video

Steve Bjork 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Mon Jun 24 14:23:49 EDT 2013

On 6/24/2013 5:06 AM, billg999 at cs.uofs.edu wrote:
> I have seen this comment a few times recently. To be honest, I don't
> think Tandy ever expected the COCO to be anything but a cartridge
> based game console like the Atari 2600 (thus the reason they never did
> a hard disk for it even though they did for every one of the Z80 based
> systems). Given that, I can't see them investing that much effort.
> bill --

Back in the days of early computers like the CoCo, hard drive were out
the price range of the personal computer user.  ($10,000 and up)

Maybe you were thinking Floppy and not a hard drive?

They were always planning on having floppy drives on the CoCo.  When the
CoCo hit the market back in 1980, they just had Color basic to keep the
price down to $400.  16K of RAM and Extended BASIC would come later once
the manufacture cost dropped.  The Floppy drive showed up once there was
more price drops in hardware.

The TRS-80 Model ONE was the only Tandy Computer line not design with
floppy drives in mind.  You needed the poorly design Expansion Unit to
add a floppy drive to that model.  The TRS-80 Model 3 was design from
the ground up for Floppies.  (The TRS-80 Model II came with one 8"
floppy drive and started at $3450.)

Steve