[Coco] OS9/68K on Atari SatanDisk

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Jun 24 10:56:29 EDT 2013

On Monday 24 June 2013 10:42:07 billg999 at cs.uofs.edu did opine:

> > On Mon, 24 Jun 2013, Bob Devries wrote:
> >> Has anyone here tried to install OS-9/68000 on an Atari with a
> >> SatanDisk ACSI interface?
> >>
> >> I don't know if it's possible; I'm hoping it is.
> >>
> >> The Microware version came with FDISK on its TOS start disk, but that
> >> doesn't work on large disks. :(
> >>
> >> Don't know if there's a more up-to-date version.
> >
> > I was considering a SatanDisk for exactly that purpose, but the
> > designer didn't know anything about OS-9 (or the Atari Unix-like
> > variant - forget the name) and couldn't guarantee it would work.
>
> Too bad we don't have a NitrOS9/68K.  :-)  I have a couple of different
> M68K boards just crying for something like OS9 to run on them.
>
> bill

That is probably not farther away than a translator to drive the m68k
version of gcc's assembler.  Niros9 source code is there for anyone to
download just by doing an hg clone of the repo.

OTOH, linux for the m68k boards is alive and well, I actually had it
running on my amiga 2000 once, at perhaps 1% of the speed of amigados
because it had no knowledge of the extra hardware and memory present in
that box.  I've no clue if it ever drew drivers for the PP&S 68040 card
with 64 megs of memory and a scsi interface, or any of the other drive
interfaces other than the commie approved scsi, the A-2091.  That would
have brought it up to speed. But that one time, running on 2 megs of ram
and 1/2 meg of the 2 megs of chip memory, it spent 99% of it time shuffling
stuff in and out of swap.  Needless to say, that 1Gb drive was recovered
for amigados use.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
30 day money back guarantee minus shipping, 10% restocking charge, and 7%
cancellation charge.
         law-abiding citizens.