[Coco] CF Card Question

Ed Orbea ed.orbea at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 21:23:40 EDT 2013

I've been having problems to the CF cards I bought to make "backups" of my
SuperIDE CF distro card.
Mark M has graciously offered that if I send him my cards, he will place
the CF distro on them, unless there are physical problems with the cards,
but I don't want to waste his time, if I can resolve the issue 1st.

So that caused me to ask a question:
I purchased the exact same SanDIsk 256mg cards that Mark shipped me.
I used Aaron's sidewalk (ver 0.3) to copy the image to my WInXP system
I also used other utilities (dd for windows, Roadkill's raw copy) to copy
the image to the same WinXP system
.
Then I used the same utilities to (Sidewalk, dd for windows, raw copy) copy
the recently copied images to the new CF cards. All utilities showed that
the copy function was successful.

After performing the copy, I used the same utilities to make a new copy
form the new CF cards, the image that I just recently copied.

Thus I have multiple copies of the original image and multiple copies of
the copy image. Hopefully this makes sense).

Then I used the diff command to compare the original to what I copied from
the new set of CF cards, and diff showed absolutely no difference.

But when I use the new CF cards in SuperIDE the system basically 'freezes'.
The only thing that happens is that either A ampersand and the letter A
appear in reverse video on the bottom of the screen, or the screen gets
'spatklies'

My system is a CoCo3 and MPI with my FDCC in slot4, SSC in slot3, Orch90 in
slot2 and SuperIDE in slot1

All power is turned off to the CoCo and peripherals (at the power strip)

The MPI is set to slot before power up

All power is applied st the same time

If I use the original CF disto, all works perfectly.

So to make a long story, short. Can CF cards have a problem being READ or
to they go 'bad' and give erronous data when being READ?

Thanks