[Coco] [OT] Atari 8-bit video card

billg999 at cs.uofs.edu billg999 at cs.uofs.edu
Mon Jun 17 12:07:26 EDT 2013

> Hi all,
>
> A little OT but for those dreaming about an enhanced GIME chip for the
> Coco,
> or alternatively an enhanced Coco-4/X project, you may take heart or be
> inspired by the VBXE graphics 'card' for the Atari 8-bit computers!
>
> To be honest I'm still unsure whether it complements or replaces the Atari
> graphics chips (ANTIC/GTIA) as the "Installation Manual" appears to be
> nothing more than a single JPEG, but impressive work none-the-less.

An interesting concept.  Which bring up another question for some
of the people here more knowledgeable in this stuff than I am.

What is the possibility of making a "Video Cartridge"?  A cartridge with
a modern video controller that could drive current monitors and be driven
itself by the COCO?  Possible?  Too difficult?  Easy?  Too expensive?

Inquiring minds want to know.

bill