[Coco] Coco Digest, Vol 125, Issue 24

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Wed Jun 12 01:00:21 EDT 2013

Wayne,

Do a google search on "javascript raycasting engine tutorial" (or just
"raycasting tutorial") - there are plenty of examples out there on how
these engines work, and many of them are quite clear in describing the
mechanics. In the case of the javascript versions, you can even run the
code in your browser, and as long as your computer was made in the last
10 years or so, it should run it OK.

The trick with the CoCo, as always - is the memory and speed limitations
imposed by the hardware. Various tricks and techniques (and corner
cutting!) need to be done to get any real semblance of speed for a good
game (that, and tons of hand adjusted and tweaked assembler).

What's amazing today is what can now be done with an interpreted
language (javascript) in the browser. Take it up another notch with
HTML5 and WebGL hardware acceleration - and be really amazed!

--
Andrew L. Ayers
Glendale, Arizona