[Coco] Computer/software trends (was coco posts cut)

Louis Ciotti lciotti1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 15:19:51 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Michael Graham <mkgraham at gmx.com> wrote:

> That's why I use an e-mail client instead of webmail.  Gmail is actually
> quite nice when you access it via an IMAP client.
>
> --Michael

I use one on all my home computers, but if I am not home like now, it is
web-mail or nothing.  Really all Google has to do is give users the ability
to customize how their web-mail client works where you can select if you
want to include the prior e-mail in the reply.  The problem to me is it
seems they are driving toward the tablet user crowd.  Seems like that is
where everyone (as in the hardware and software vendors) are pushing, with
little development in the typical desktop software for use with a keyboard
and mouse.  Look at windows 8, totally a pain to use with your mouse (My
opinion others may not think so)  Heck, even browsing the web is becoming
an unpleasant experience with all the ads, potential hacking attempts,
etc.  There is a local TV station where you cannot even look at a new
article with out viewing an advertisement first, needless to say I don't
visit that web site anymore.

Really I enjoy using Mutt as an e-mail client.  Nothing fancy, no bold
text, or "stationary".  Just text which is what e-mail is supposed to
be.    I really wonder when all of this is going to come to a crashing
halt.  Website have gone from being about content to being about how pretty
they can make it with fancy graphics, menus, etc.